Thursday, February 22, 2007

Dirty (Gasp!) Words

Did you ever read something and then want to bang your head against the desk, or wall, or any available solid surface? I mean, the sheer idiocy of some people makes me want to do just that.

First off, let me start by saying I don't believe there is any such thing as a dirty word. Words are words. None are good and none are bad. Now, I know I am in the minority here, but that's how I feel. I don't get all wound up if one of my kids swears. Why should I? It's just a word. No, maybe not the most polite word, of course, but still, just a word.

But when did body parts fall under the Words That Shall Not Be Spoken category? Did I fall asleep and miss something? I mean, when did it become such a mental, emotional, and physical danger to a kid to learn the correct name for a body part? Why are we as a country so hung up on the stupidest things?

Don't believe me? Check this out.

Doesn't this just make your head want to explode? Ugh. First there were the twits down in Florida who demanded that the word vagina be removed from the marquis where the Vagina Monologues was being performed. And now scrotum is on the list of For the Sake of the Children, Don't Say This Word!!! words.

Don't these people have anything better to do than be the moral police for the rest of us? I don't know, I've made it quite far in my life, despite being exposed to such horrors as vagina, scrotum and the like. Don't think I've been horrifically scarred as a result of m exposure to these oh-so-awful words.

I hate the moral police. I wish they'd go away and let the rest of us think for ourselves. I don't agree with album stickering or movie ratings and don't even get me started on seatbelt/helmet laws.

Who appointed these self-righteous idiots to think for us? I was always taught that there is nothing wrong with the human body or its parts. My children know their correct terms and they know they can ask me about anything and I will answer, without judgment of course.

But it is not up to some librarian in California (or wherever)nor is it up to Congress, or anyone else to decide what I can or can't read, or what my kids can or can't read. I think I'm a little better equipped than these idiots to decide what is obscene or not. I'm not offened by words, but I am offended by the thought that some schmuck can decide this for me. Censorship in any form sucks. Abso-freakin-lutely sucks.

Some people need to get a life and stop worrying about the children. They aren't quite so fragile and don't need to be protected from words. They need to be protected from the morons who think they know what's best for the rest of us.

No comments: