Thursday, March 22, 2007

Spring At Last!

This is going to be quick - I have a LOT of work to do. But I am doing the happy dance that spring is here - it was almost 70 degrees today! Woo hoo.

The last two weeks have been the longest I can remember in a lifetime. First my daughter was sick, then my son came down with the same virus on Sunday night. He was running a temp of almost 102 degrees. I spoke to the pediatrician, who told me that if he was still running it the next day to bring him in.

That poor little man. He was so hot and uncomfortable that all he wanted was for Mom to hold him. So I did. I sat in the rocking chair in his room, and held him from 10 until almost 3:30, when the poor kid finally gave in to exhaustion and went to sleep.

I put him down in bed and sat beside him. Breathed a sigh of relief when the top of his head became damp and his cheeks felt cool. Thank God. I went to bed at 4:30AM.

Monday morning, he was almost his usual, cheery little self. This kid has the sunniest personality I've ever seen (gets it from me, of course). He ate some breakfast, had some juice, and played. Not as much as usual (he's only a toddler, so he spends a lot of time climbing on anything that stands still long enough.
But, he was on the road to wellness.

Or so I thought.

Right after dinner on Monday, his head began to feel warm again. By ten o'clock, his fever shot up, spiking at almost 103 degrees. Now, I know little kids can tolerate fever, and fever is good, but this poor little guy was burning up - I could feel the heat literally radiating from him. I sat with him again while my husband ran out to replace the @$%@@ nightlight that burned out earlier. When he came home, he sat with the Boy and I called the pediatrician. Their after hours call center is a local hospital, so I called them. Got the machine. Left a message. Went back to sit with my boy.

He was so uncomfortable that I couldn't even hold him. I was afraid I'd drop him because he was squirming about so badly. I put him back in his crib and just sat there with him until he drifted to sleep. I don't remember doing the same, but the next thing I knew, my husband was nudging me awake to tell me the doctor had called back. We were doing the right thing and there was no need to run to the ER (thank God), but she told us to call our pediatric group in the morning, tell them we'd called the call center, and they'd give us an early appointment.

My pediatric group is wonderful that way. We got an early appointment. The Boy has an ear infection on top of the virus. Whew. At least it's something we could treat. After two doses of the antibiotic, his fever broke and he's a happy little man again.

So, now that it's almost behind us, I need to get back to work. I'm a little behind and have a lot of catching up to do. But, in case anyone missed me... you now know where I was. I might be a writer, but I'm a mom first.

Keep your fingers crossed I don't get this next. It looks about as much fun as drilling nails through my eyes.

No comments: