Saturday, September 15, 2007

And now, the news -

Okay - I guess I've made you suffer enough ;) so it's time for me to announce my big news...

I've always loved romances revolving around pirates. There is just something about the action and adventure, the romance of the era, everything. So, when I first began writing, I set about to write what I loved to read - a pirate romance. The first version of it was terrible - I cringe to this day whenever I come across the earliest version. But it was a story that just wouldn't let go of me. I wrote three completely different versions (several drafts of each) until I hit upon the one story that really worked.

On the day Samhain Publishing reopened to submissions, I put together a query and the first three chapters. Twenty-four hours later, I had a request for the full. Then, on September sixth, I received the email I really wanted.

An offer of a contract for Eden's Pass.

I am now officially a Samhain author!

(come on, do the happy dance with me!)

I wrote the very first version of this story when I was nineteen, and over the years, it's changed so much that the only thing that remained the same was the hero - a Spanish pirate named Inigo Sebastiano.

I can't tell you how thrilled I am over this news! Especially after the last few weeks. And especially with this book - no matter how I tried, the story just wouldn't let go of me, so I guess it truly is the book of my heart.

Here's a short synopsis of Eden's Pass to give you an idea of what the book is about -

She was a runaway slave, disguised as cabin boy in order to reach safety and freedom on the island of Jamaica. He was a pirate with a thirst for vengeance and closing in on his prey –

If Finn Eden had known Captain Beauregard had a price on his head, she would have thought twice before disguising herself as a boy to join his crew. Had she known that they would be attacked, and defeated by Captain Sebastiano, and that she would be impressed into his crew, she definitely would have found another way to leave her life of slavery on Barbados. Not only was she not going to reach the freedom she sought on Jamaica, but she’d have to continue pretending to be a boy. How was she to know that she was going to fall in love with the very Spaniard who’d captured her in the first place? How was that even possible, when he only knew her as a lad?

Inigo Sebastiano knew there was something odd about his new cabin boy, but he couldn't be sure exactly what that something was. It mattered little, for his main objective was to find and destroy the man responsible for the murder of the only person Inigo ever loved. Beauregard was merely a small step towards that objective. However, when Inigo learns the truth about Finn, he isn't at all prepared for the overwhelming desire that threatens to change his course forever.


Eden's Pass is scheduled to be released in January, 2008 and I am so looking forward to it. I'll update as things progress, but for now, I'm just savoring the news. And I just had to share! =)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations! I'm a terrible dancer but I'll give the happy dance a try.

I am not much of a romance reader, but I do love a good pirate story.

Thank you for sharing your news.