Saturday, September 08, 2007

A non-writing-related post and a bit of a teaser...

At least, I think it'll mostly be non-writing related. I know some people read writers' blogs because they want to know how we think. Or if we think, as the case may be. Some are interested in the day-to-day (although, how interesting can "I spent three hours in the library looking researching whether or not cufflinks were around in 1820" - which they were, btw - be?)

But, this one won't deal with the mundane nonsense that goes on in this writer's writing life. Not tonight. I haven't been doing much writing lately (yes, I know, the horror, the horror!) I turned in those edits and I'm taking a little break so I can focus my energy on my husband and his health problems. Not to mention the Girl started first grade and, since we're moving in 40 days (not that I'm counting, mind you), she's in a new school - which means I have to drive her and pick her up every day. So, I'm not too keen on any new projects just yet. Once I get settled into the new house, and get my office put together, I'll get back to work. I do have ideas for two more books rattling around inside my head, so I'll have that part done already! =)

First, my husband is getting a little better. Instead of being on a plain ol' boring IV, he's now on a multi-potassium laced IV. And a powerful antibiotic. And a bag of fat. I swear to God, I'm not making that up. He's on a bag of fat. Emulsified fat. It looks like a bag of Crisco. It's kind of gross and all I can picture is the cafeteria workers draining bacon fat into a Ziploc bag, throwing it through some sort of sterilizer, and pouring it into an IV bag. All the while yelling, "Wait! Don't throw that fat out, I got a skinny guy up in Med/Surg who's gettin' it pumped directly into his arm!" It's funny to think that while everyone else is supposed to avoid the fat, my husband's mainlining it even as we speak. Weird.

He's lost a lot of weight in the last two weeks. I saw his ribs for the first time ever. And we've been together almost 15 years. He's got a flat belly now - and he's almost got cheekbones. He wasn't fat, but he was built like a linebacker. Now he looks more like a receiver. I'll have to do something about that when he comes home.

Unfortunately, that won't happen for most likely another week. He's going to need surgery. Tuesday, it seems. But hopefully it won't be as bad as we originally thought - so that's a plus. I'm not going into details simply because he probably wouldn't appreciate it and, frankly, I don't really feel the details are of any concern to anyone else. So, I'll leave it at that for now.

He was grumpy when I left the hospital. His IV hurt. Apparently, potassium irritates the veins. And the IV is in a vein. So, he was feeling icky when I left. But hopefully it'll get better or he'll get better drugs =).

So, in between now and next weekend, I won't be around much. I know, I know - I'll be terribly missed. But you understand, eh? I will pop in for a short update later in the week, though.

And now for the teaser...

hee hee...

it is called a teaser for a reason, you know.

I have some major news...

I mean huge news....

You'll love it....

Later this week. =)

No comments: