Monday, November 12, 2007

Sick... again!

Yep - that's me. Sick. Again.

My daughter was nearly two before she was sick for the first time. Of course, her first illness was an incredibly icky stomach bug that she promptly gave to me - but still, she was almost two.

Well, since then, it seems as if she's sick more often than not. And when she started school, forget it. That year, she was sick for most of October, and then a good part of that winter. She passed it to me, I came down with it on Halloween and, I kid you not, I was sick until freakin' March. I lost my voice for a week - much to the delight of the kids and the husband, not so delightful for me, but I digress - and thought spring would never come. Fortunately, it did and I eventually stopped being sick.

That's what happens when you have kids, and it only gets worse once they start school. The Girl was in preschool when my son was born - he had his first ear infection at about 6 weeks old. Since then, the pattern is predictable. The Girl gets sick. The Boy gets sick. Mom gets sick.

It wasn't too bad when there was just the Girl. Mom could lay on the sofa and rest a little. The Girl has a total maternal streak and loves to take care of Mommy and Daddy when one of us gets sick.

The Boy, on the other hand, doesn't stop moving no matter what. He's sick now but does that stop him? Ha! Not a chance. At least my husband's home right now, so if there's ever a good time to get sick, now is it, I guess.

So here I am, coughing and sneezing, sore throat, feeling like I've been hit by a truck. Again. Oy. And, of course, I'm in the middle of the last edits (I hope, keep your fingers crossed) for You Belong to Me. I'm trying to muster up the energy to look at it, never mind read through and make sure there are no mistakes in it. Fortunately, it only came through yesterday, so I have the next few days to just veg and then get to work when I'm feeling a bit more up to snuff.

However, being sick is enough to make me avoid my office and my laptop for days. Normally that's not too bad, but I've been starting to write again. I've had this cowboy/bounty hunter idea floating around in my head for weeks now and I thought I might be onto something. Now? I'm not so sure. My head is too clogged to think clearly.

Last night, I was in bed, tucked away, by 9:15PM. I'd taken some NyQuil, flipped on TVLand's M*A*S*H marathon (I adore M*A*S*H) and settled in to watch it. At ten, I flipped on History Channel International (or maybe it was Biography Channel - I don't really remember) to watch Haunted History - which is another fave. At 10:30 I lurched awake to find I'd missed a chunk of Haunted Atlanta. At 11:30, I lurched awake to find I'd missed the rest of Atlanta and my husband had come to bed, thereby shutting off the television. Conked right back out again.

I think tonight I'll do the same thing. That's about all I have the energy for right now. The cleaning, vacuuming, dusting, and what-have-you can wait. I'm going back to bed.

No comments: