Sunday, December 23, 2007

Merry Christmas!

It's hard to believe that Christmas is upon us once again - it seems like I just put away the decorations from last Christmas. Time does fly and I always wonder where it goes. I kind of like the idea behind Rudolph's Shiny New Year - that all the years become an island in an archipelago. When I was a kid, I thought it would be so cool to be able to visit any time period just by traveling to one of those islands. Actually, I still think it'd be cool. That's why I love writing historical romances so much. I love the idea of being transported back into the past. I've always loved history for that reason - the past fascinates me. If I could find that archipelago, I'd probably visit 1776 first - the Revolutionary War is my favorite and that time period is my favorite as well. I keep saying that someday I'll write a book set during that time and, if the right idea ever pops into my head... well... that'd be perfect. Now if only it would pop in there...

But anyway, here we are at Christmas again. My office looks like Santa's workshop, with piles of wrapped presents everywhere. I can't wait to get this stuff out of here and get my office put back together again. I only hope I didn't accidentally wrap something of mine (imagine the look on someone's face if they unwrapped a WIP, complete with red inked notes and sticky Post-Its stuck to it. Priceless.)

It's only natural to sit back and reflect on the past year (though I try to save that post for New Year's) and it's been quite the year for me. There were quite a few ups and downs, but I'm happy to say that the ups far outweigh the downs. It's been busy, with a lot of change, but that's good - a little shakeup now and then is exactly what I need to keep from taking anything for granted. And it also helps me to appreciate the calmer side of life as well. That's something that should never be taken for granted - it disappears all too fast and, a lot of the time, without any warning.

So, I'll save the reflections for next week. For now, I just wanted to wish everyone out there a Merry Christmas. Enjoy. Stay safe.

Peace.

No comments: