Thursday, January 24, 2008

Forever a Ranger

This has nothing to do with writing whatsoever. Nothing. Nada. Zip. Zilch.

But it has to do with sports.

Hockey, to be more succinct.

I've been a New York Rangers fan since the beginning of time. Back in the day before they wore helmets - when I used to watch them on Channel 9 (before cable took over everything.)

I remember watching them win the Stanley Cup - one of my greatest sports memories. Ever.

I wasn't able to go to the clinching game - I watched it on MSG (Madison Square Garden - the cable channel, for anyone who's interested.) I hadn't yet started dating my husband (that would come about 2 weeks later.) But I was in the Garden the night they raised the Stanley Cup Championship banner.

I don't get to many hockey games, unfortunately - so I've seen the big moments compliments of MSG. The Cup. Mark Messier's number retired. Mike Richter's number retired.

Tonight, the Rangers retired Number 2 - Brian Leetch, also a member of the '94 Stanley Cup Championship team. One of my favorite players. My husband's favorite. Ranger. Ever. I am still teed at the organization for trading him. But it was great to see him back on home ice again.

It was a good ceremony - Messier cried (of course). There were chills when they raised Leetch's number to the rafters. A huge surprise - the Rangers will retire Adam Graves' number 9 next season. Totally cool.

Anyway, it was a good night for Rangers hockey fans.

2 comments:

The Quoibler said...

We are definitely a hockey family around here, Kim. Love the Devils and the Hershey Bears (we live about 20 minutes from Hershey, PA...) But any hockey game will do! :)

(We have a small "statue" of Wayne Gretsky in the livingroom. Sick, sick, sick.)

Incidentally, loved your abstinence suggestion on my blog. My son had colic for about six months. My husband and I did the walk around the coffee table millions of times... it's why we have one child. ha ha ha!

Angelique

Kim said...

My kids are almost five years apart - it took that long to work up the courage to do it again. But we were lucky, our son wasn't colicky... whew! =)