Monday, May 19, 2008

Dinner with Friends

Well, now that the hand is starting to feel better, I'm going to try to get back to regular blogging. I know, I know... I keep saying that. But this time, I meant it. =)

It was a quiet weekend here. Though my husband and I did get out Saturday night - which was wonderful. For the first time in a long time, our entire group of friends got together for dinner Saturday. It was great, because not only is everyone busy enough with work and kids, but our friends are scattered all over the state. So for us, orchestrating a get-together is akin to orchestrating a military maneuver. It takes months for everyone to coordinate their schedules.

Fortunately, we were all free Saturday. All had sitters. A good time was had by all.

I miss seeing our friends on a regular basis. Used to be, every Friday and/or Saturday, we'd hang out and it was a lot of fun. But then everyone started getting married, and having kids, and then buying houses - some stayed in the area, but others went north and some went south. And before you know it, six months have gone by and you haven't seen or talked to any of them.

So, for all of us to be in one room at the same time, is wonderful. We went to a hibachi Japanese place, brought a lot of wine, and just had a good time. Afterwards, we walked to a nearby bar - the guys went to shoot pool, while the girls sat and caught up with each other. And the funny thing is, though it's been months since a lot of us have seen each other, it's like no time at all has gone by. That's the best thing with old friends - you don't need to be in constant contact in order to maintain that friendship. Which is good because that is getting harder and harder to do these days.

We're planning on holding a housewarming party this summer (we wanted to wait until the pool was open), and we're already into August due to scheduling conflicts. And I probably won't see most of our friends until then - but you'd never know it once we're all together. I wish we weren't all so spread out all over the place, because I do kind of miss those Friday night hang-outs. But then again, when we do get together, I think I tend to appreciate it all the more.

No comments: