Monday, June 23, 2008

Odds 'n Ends

The weekend was fairly quiet - which was good, because it meant I could get some writing done. I'm very close to finishing the first draft of a story I started back in January. It was put on hold while I was up to my eyes revising You Belong to Me and then Eden's Pass. Then, I just took some time off.

But now, I've been writing like crazy - and have about another 15k words to go before the first draft is done. It's been an adventure, because it's different from anything I've written prior to this book. It's historical, with a hint of paranormal in it - and I'll have to see during the first revision, if the paranormal elements are working or not. I think they are, but when it comes to a first draft, I tend to just write and clean it up in subsequent drafts.

It's also the first story I've written set in a country that doesn't exist. I've used England, America, and the Caribbean for settings, but in this book, I had to create a country from scratch. On one hand, it's easier, because I can put things where I want, but on the other, it's more difficult because it has to be believable. Which means just as much research as if I were setting it in London or Philadelphia. Fun, but tiring.

The weather's been okay, so that means we've been in the pool a lot. Which is good, because a lot of work goes into keeping the pool up and running. I'm certainly not going through all that work and not enjoying it. Yep - it sure is a sacrifice, floating around in my lounge chair on the water, soaking up the sun and watching my husband and the kids play.

I've also been watching When We Left Earth on Discovery - it's about the NASA missions from the very first rockets to the space shuttles. How cool would it be to be an astronaut? How cool are real astronauts? Hmm... there may be a new story in there... =)

I also haven't forgotten the contest I was planning to hold for June. Unfortunately, I have to admit that time simply got away from me. So, instead of running it in June, I'm looking at July now. Sorry about that, but it just plain slipped away from me.

So, that was pretty much my weekend. Nothing exciting, but enough to keep me out of trouble. For now. =)

No comments: