Tuesday, September 23, 2008

A Busy Day

I'm going to be running like crazy today and I'm not sure how much writing (if any) I'll get done. I'm going to have a houseful for dinner tonight, so I have to hit the grocery store if I want to actually feed them. Plus, I've got an appointment with my orthopedist about my knee this afternoon, and a bit of cleaning to do.

So far, I'm still in the outlining phase for my Western. I'm not so sure I'm going to go with the original story after all, since another idea has been elbowing its way into my brain. I don't know, though, because I really like the original idea as well. Hmm... maybe there two books in there instead of just one?? That would be nice. Each time I finish up a book, I have that horrible notion that maybe, just maybe, I don't have any more stories to tell. It's awful, really. I type The End on a manuscript and then scare the bejeezus out of myself by thinking, "I don't have any other ideas. What if I never have another idea again?"

That's what happened when I finished After the Storm and finally got it out. For a week or so, I would stare at the computer screen, knowing I should be writing, but not having anything to write about, which makes it sort of difficult, really. Then I began Tiger's Eyes and Devil in Disguise. And there's a moment of relief, followed by the terror of starting an entirely new book, which is something I go through with each new project as well. Ugh. That's when I begin thinking that, maybe I should have been a doctor or a lawyer or anything other than a writer.

Well, like I said, today's going to be a busy one, so I'd better get in gear. Keep your fingers crossed for good news on the knee... =)

No comments: