Sunday, March 08, 2009

A Nice Surprise
























The weather here has been beautiful the last few days. Not really very sunny, but warm. An upper 60s, low 70s kind of warm. And considering how long this winter seems to be dragging on, it's been a real nice change.

The downside is, of course, that my backyard is a biiiiiig swamp. And I literally mean a swamp. My development is situated on wetlands (well, it was a cow farm at one time, before there was anything wrong with building on wetlands), so when the snow melts and the ground thaws, things tend to get a little - ahem - squishy until everything dries out. By May, it's pretty dry, though it squishes up again with the slightest bit of rain.

But that's okay, since there's no harm in a little mud, right? The weather's been nice and I've been able to open the windows (to get the sick out) and take the kids out (who were going stir-crazy from being inside) and the hubs put up the swings on the jungle gym, so the Boy and the Girl were all set.

So we spent a good part of yesterday and a good part of today outside. Some of it was spent slogging through the mud, and picking up a lot of sticks, but we also got to go on the swings, and throw those sticks into the small trickle of water that passes for a creek behind my house.

After a long, cold, seemingly endless winter, the warm weather was absolutely welcome and I hope it sticks around. I'm tired of the cold and it's been wonderful to play outside with the kids.

It was also a nice weekend in that my author's copies for Eden's Pass arrived. I'd been wondering how long it would take to get them, and it turns out that they were actually shipped to my old address. I found this out when my doorbell rang last night and the woman on my front porch introduced herself as the mother of the woman who bought our townhouse. Apparently, the books were sent there instead of my new address and this woman's had them for about two weeks.

I have to admit, I got a total thrill out of opening that box and seeing all those books. It's such a different feeling from receiving the ebook versions. There's just something about holding a print book that is unlike any other feeling in the world. I hope it isn't something that ever gets old, either.

So it was a terrific weekend all around. And with any luck, spring will decide to stay around a little while longer!

No comments: