Monday, April 06, 2009

Mondays and Other Funki-tude



















And I don't mean funk as in "Whoa... that is funky!"

I mean funk as in, man... that sucks!

It's Monday. That's automatic funkitude right there.

It's a dreary, rainy Monday.

Extra funkitude.

And now, the Girl is on her way to Florida, to spend Spring Break (remember when it was called Easter Break. Political Correctness = Major Funkitude) with her grandparents. She hasn't been home for Easter in three years. I miss her.

I'm one of those people who hates fly. Blech. I do it, but I'm never very happy (or very sober) about it. Well, I absolutely despise the fact the Girl will be on a plane without me. Silly, I know, but still... that's my kid in the air. And since today's weather has been rainy and thunderstormy (which also = funkitude) I just have one more thing to worry about.

But, she'll have fun and since these grandparents spend almost the entire winter in Florida, it's good for her to go and visit and spend some time with them. During the warmer months, they are up here, but with the Boy's therapies and all last summer (and the special program he'll probably be enrolled in for this summer) we didn't get down the shore all that often (which is where they live.) So, I miss her, but it's so great for her. My paternal grandparents lived in Texas, so I saw them maybe 5 times in my entire life before they died. My maternal grandmother died when I was 3. I was lucky that my mom's dad lived well into his 70s. We lived with him (or he lived with us, depending on how you look at it) and I have 17 years of memories which I treasure. The Girl's lucky that she spends a great deal of time with 3 of her 4 grandparents (and I'm not about to go into details about grandfather #2.)

But this means that I will now not relax until one of her grandparents calls to let us know the Girl (and her aunt and cousin) are safe on the ground. Then I can relax until next Monday, when they come back North.

On the plus side, I did get a few things done over the weekend, writing-wise. I dug out my NaNo novel and I think it is salvageable. It just needs a middle. Yes, I wrote the beginning and the end. Now I just need to write how Diego and Gabby get to the end from the beginning. I have a few ideas. We'll see what happens.

I'm also deep into the first rewrites for Devil in Disguise, which is the second book in the Montgomery series. It's a major revision, since I'm changing a huge portion of the plot, but it will be worth it. Er, at least, I think it'll be worth it.

I also started the background research on the Western I want to write. I have the skeleton of the plot in place, and names, and that's about all I'll have for a while. I need to get these other two manuscripts finished before I can really think of beginning a first draft for a third. Yikes. That would be too much to juggle even for me. I like to keep busy, but that would border on insanity.

And I just don't have time for insane. Maybe next week.

No comments: