Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Inspiration: I haz it!

And it's been going strong.

Angel of Darkness is cruising along pretty nicely. I'm almost at 30k words, which isn't bad, considering I only started it 8 days ago. I've hit a couple of rough spots, but basically, I've been able to push through it. It's still off to a great start, even for a rough draft. It's been fun to write as well, since it's the first time I really get to use my imagination and create the entire world. True, it's still an historical, so I still need a very realistic background and need to create an accurate world, but I also get a bit more free reign than I would with a straight-up historical romance. And that's where the fun comes in. I've got vampires, witches, werewolves, all kinds of creatures running around raising hell. It's fun. Kind of dark, maybe, but fun nonetheless.

It's funny how inspiration comes and goes. Once upon a time, I would never have seen myself writing a vampire story. I've never been a huge fan of them - though I have to admit I adored Buffy the Vampire Slayer and Angel. So, I've had to do a bit of research to get started, and will have more to do in subsequent drafts, I'm sure, but there's a certain amount of freedom that comes with writing something where I get to set most of the rules.

I've also just started reading Christopher Vogler's The Writer's Journey, which is a bible of sorts for almost any writer. It explains both character archetypes and the journey take in a story from the Hero's Call to the Return with the Elixir (the end of the journey). I've been meaning to get it for a while, and finally got around to it, so that'll be keeping me busy when I'm not writing.

So, it's good to be writing and writing so furiously. I've missed that wonderful feeling of having this story inside that's just dying to get out.

No comments: