Sunday, July 19, 2009

Busy Weekend...

And how!

It's funny, but aside from the Boy's school program, my summer is completely free. I'll be heading down the shore for a week when he finishes, but that's about it. An entirely free summer.

Except for this past weekend.

Why does that happen? Why does everything happen in the same weekend?

Thanks to the wonder that is Facebook, I reconnected with some old friends from high school - our 20 year (egads!!!) reunion will be sometime next year (and yes, I did just give away my age, didn't I? Oh well.), but a group of us decided to hold a mini-reunion. This weekend. And it was great. They all got together Friday night at a local restaurant, only I couldn't make it because...

My husband's family decided it was time for a family reunion (if you go to the Old Posts' Home, and scroll through July, 2006, you'll find a post written about the last family reunion.)

And what weekend did they pick?

I'll give you two guesses, but you'll only need one.

Well, their reunion was this weekend as well. Only they did a golf outing for the men (chant with me, won't you? "Men, men, men, men, men, men!") on Friday, and my other half didn't get home until nearly 11PM. So, I did not get to go out. Bummer.

But I did make it to the picnic on Saturday and it was awesome. It was like no time at all had passed since we'd last seen each other, and there were people there who I didn't know very well back in high school, but it was great to sit and talk and get to know them now. It's so much easier now that all that high school drama and nonsense is in the past. Now, it was just friends getting together with their husbands and kids, and talking. Perfect.

And then we get to today - a brunch at my in-laws' house down the shore.

Up at a little after seven. Walk the dog half a dozen times because she's never been left alone this long (my mom let her out around 3 this afternoon as well.) Get the kids' stuff packed up. Get the kids packed up. Make three trips inside for stuff we've forgotten. Finally get on the road around 9:45AM.

Sit in traffic at Point Pleasant (why, oh why do I always get stuck behind the guy from New York, who isn't quite sure which street he wants, so he proceeds to stop. at. every. frickin'. street. From Point Pleasant to Ocean Beach. WHY?!?!?


Long story short, we survived the traffic and the kids ("Mom, he's touching me!" "No, I not!") and my goofball husband ("Don't make me get out of the car and choke ya!" sung to the tune of Ricky Martin's Livin' La Vida Loca - remember that???) and arrive in time for brunch. Yay!

It was a great day - beautiful weather, plenty of kids to keep my kids happy, plenty of alcohol to keep me happy. (just kidding. had 1 mimosa and misplaced it before it was half finished. what a boob.) And we got to see relatives we don't see that often, so it was a great day. Sure, the Boy fell asleep on the way home, woke up about twenty minutes before we got home (around 6:30PM), and as a result, didn't fall asleep-asleep until about 10 (he'll be fun in school tomorrow.) And we are all wiped out, but it was so worth it.

So, everything happened in one weekend, but it was definitely a great weekend. I won't complain. Not a bit.

And now, I must go wake the dead - my other half is zonked on the sofa in the family room. Have to chase him off to bed, since it's only about 6 1/2 hours away from the whole Monday morning routine...

1 comment:

Sarah said...

I totally husband refuses to convert from myspace. I wonder what will be popular after facebook?