Saturday, June 04, 2011

Done!

**collapses**

A Perfect Lady is finished! I have been writing like a madwoman all week (there were at least 2 days of 5k+ words written. On. A. Roll. :D) to get this book done and I am happy to announce that as of 7:15 this evening, I typed THE END. The book... she is written. Braise Jeebus.

This book has been such a labor of love to write. I've never sweated finishing a project the way I did with this. It seemed so cool to sell a book on the basis of a very skeletal synopsis, but let me say I far prefer having the book already written. So. Much. Pressure.

I'd originally set a personal deadline of May 1st to have the first draft done. Unfortunately, about 25k into the book, I decided it was going in the wrong direction and ended up scrapping all but about 500 of those words. Twenty-five thousand words, roughly a third of the finished book - tossed. Ack.

But now it's behind me and the real fun begins. Revisions. But not tonight. Tonight, I will read through it (I usually print a draft chapter by chapter and revise as I go. Not with this project. This read-through will be the first one. Keep your fingers crossed) and make a few notes. Other than that, it will get put away for a week or so, and then I'll begin the second draft. I already know a few changes I need to make (a character disappeared about halfway through the story. Need to resurrect and rewrite this character. Fortunately, I know pretty much what will happen. I simply need to get the words down.)

However, with writing like mad all week, I haven't had the chance to do or read any of the Six-Sentence posts from last week. I'm going to try to play catch up this week, but unfortunately, I'm going to miss the Six-Sunday fun this week. :( Oh well, I should be back next week.

I certainly hope so.

2 comments:

Carolyn Arnold said...

Congrats on finishing!
BTW, I have something for you over on my blog http://sassy3421.blogspot.com/2011/06/irresistibility-sweet-blog-award.html

trump said...

My blog Amish Stories is having its first ever contest this week. The First prize winner will win 2 tickets to tour the farm where the 1985 move "Witness" staring Harrison Ford and Kelly Mcgillis was made in Strasburg,Pa . This farm is now Amish owned, and the family has given permission for folks to tour their farm. This may be the last time anyone will be able to walk and see the same things that Harrison Ford and the other actors saw during the making of "Witness". The Witness tour should last about 2.5 hours. In addition to the Witness farm tour tickets, 1st prize winner will also receive 2 tickets for Jacobs choice. There will also be a 2nd place prize, which will be 2 tickets for the Amish Homestead. Please go to My blog www.AmishStorys.com for contest details, and more information on the prizes. Richard from the Amish settlement of Lebanon county.