Friday, June 08, 2012

The End

It's done! It's done! The first draft of Windemere is finally done. I missed my self-imposed deadline by a week, but who cares? It's finished.

So now I can take a few days and relax (and replace my almost-empty toner cartridge) before I begin doing revisions. Whew... I need those few days, I've been writing like crazy for the last week, trying to get this finished.

I'll probably print it out and look it over this weekend, just give a real quick read-through, and mark a few notes, but the most intensive revising won't come for a few days. I need the time to let my eyes and brain recharge, so I can really see what needs revising. And I'm going to enjoy my little mini-vacation. Yay.

The school year is winding down now, the kidlets have nine days left. Then, I'll be the mother of a sixth grader (how the %#$^ did that happen???) and my baby will be a first grader (and will go full-day in September. What am I going to do with all that free time????)

It's funny how the pace just seems to slow - I can feel it even before the school year ends. Things just sort of wind down a little. And I don't have much planned this summer. We are doing a Caribbean cruise, but that's the only planned trip we have. Mostly, we're just going to laze around the pool, and maybe go down the shore a few times. That's it. That's what summer is about and why I love it. The pool was opened on Tuesday and because we had such a mild winter, it's almost crystal already. There's some sediment that needs to be vacuumed, but that won't be a big deal. Last summer, it took nearly two weeks to get the pool ready, because of all the snow, etc. Not this year. It'll be ready in another day or two.

At the end of the month, the hubs and I'll celebrate our fifteenth wedding anniversary. Fifteen years. We began dating right after the NY Rangers won the Stanley Cup (so close this year, but go Kings!) and now here we are. Fifteen years. Two kids. A home. A dog. Life is good.

I have a few projects ready to go over the summer. And I'm in the planning stages for a new book as well. This one's a little different. One I've wanted to write for a looooong time. I'm going to get out of the Regency era for a little while, since I've always wanted to write a book set in the Old West. But otherwise, I'm keeping a very light writing schedule this summer. I'll be into edits for Windemere before long, and Musa's birthday is coming up in October, so keep an eye out because I'm sure there will be some sort of contest going on.

3 comments:

Maria Zannini said...

It's always good to reach a goal. It makes the mini-break that much sweeter. Enjoy.

Marguerite Butler said...

Hooray for "The end", Kimmer. :)

Yes, I'm sure there will be some contests and stuff in October. Can't wait.

Kim said...

@Maria - Thanks! Nothing like a few days off to recharge the batteries!

@Marguerite - I'm always happy when the book's released and the party begins! :D