Thursday, June 14, 2012

Summer Reading

Last November, as many of you know, I broke down and got a Kindle and promptly fell in love. Since then, I've read something in the neighborhood of 30 books. I don't know if I'd read 30 books in the five years preceding my Kindle. Back before I had kids, I would read about a book a week, but since then? Maybe a book a year. I didn't realize how much I missed reading until I bought that Kindle and I've been making up for lost time since.

Over the winter, I tackled Sabrina Jeffries 'Hellions of Halstead Hall' series. I'm current on Stacia Kane's Downside Series. And now it's time to restock the Kindle with a new series.

A few years ago (okay, about 6-maybe even 7) I bought Julia Quinn's It's in His Kiss. And to be honest, I never finished it. I'm not even sure I made it five chapters before tossing it aside. That summer (and I know it was summer. I just can't remember if I was pregnant with the Boy or if he was a baby) no matter which author it was, I just couldn't get into the book. I tried to read A Loving Scoundrel by Johanna Lindsey, two or three Eloisa James books, and the Julia Quinn. I don't think I finished one of them and I don't know why.

Fast forward to last summer. I was in CVS and saw Just Like Heaven by Julia Quinn and, on impulse, grabbed it. While the kids played in the pool later that afternoon, I devoured that book. It was awesome! But it was, I'm ashamed to admit, the only book I read last summer. Bad me.

Then I got my Kindle and you know the rest...

Two weeks ago, after finishing the last Hellions book (A Lady Never Surrenders, which was pretty good, by the way. Sabrina Jeffries was one I hadn't read and ended up with the first Hellions book on impulse), I needed something else for the shore. You have to have a book at the shore. And I found A Night Like This, by Julia Quinn. It's the second of the Smythe-Smith series. Devoured that in the two days I was at the shore. The next one won't be out until next spring, though. Wah. :(

But now I'm hooked on Julia Quinn and that's good because I plan to read her entire Bridgerton series (I believe this is the series that introduces us to the Smythe-Smiths) which is 8 books long. I started The Duke and I last night and I'm already a third of the way into it. And that's how I plan to spend my summer - reading Julia Quinn. Oh, and outlining a book I plan to write come fall. And that's pretty much it.

So, what's on your reading list for this summer?

No comments: