Monday, September 17, 2012

A Bit of This and That

The autumn is absolutely my favorite time of the year. The kids are back in school - and now that the Boy is in first grade, that means full day. For the first time in twelve years, my days belong only to me. Yay! More time to write.

Except that I've just finished the edits on Windemere and considering the pressure that came with that book, I need a little bit of a break before beginning anything new. I've never written anything on as tight a deadline as that book and although I tend to write my best under pressure (my editor joked that I should write every book that way. I think I'd have a stroke if I did. :D) it's not something I care to repeat any time soon.

I should have some cover love to share fairly soon and of course, Musa's birthday coming up, there will be a blog hop and some prizes and all that. And with any luck, I'll have more good news to share. Keep your fingers crossed.

But back to autumn being my favorite time of the year. This past summer was so hot and so muggy and so god-awful, that this autumn is like a gift. I love being able to open the windows and let in the fresh air. Especially after a summer of AC. Don't get me wrong, I think the inventor of central air should be canonized, but there's something wonderful about fresh, cool crisp, fall air. I swap out my summer candles (Yankee Candle is my home away from home, I have a candle for every season) for the autumn ones (Spiced Pumpkin left from last autumn.)

In my house, the master bedroom is on the top floor, which means it's always the hottest room in the house. During the summer, the ceiling fan runs nonstop (shut off only when we go away) and even then, it's still only barely comfortable. But now, I actually need a blanket and there's nothing quite like waking up on a chilly Saturday morning and being able to snuggle under the cozy covers. :D

October is my favorite month - my son was born in October and, of course, Halloween is here, which marks the beginning of the Holiday season as far as I'm concerned. But October is also the same month we moved into our house (which I love) and when the leaves start to change, my backyard is just the most beautiful mosaic of reds, yellows, golds, and oranges.

Right now, I've got chili simmering in the crockpot (the kidlets are off from school for Rosh Hashanah) and that's another plus about the autumn. I love to cook and bake and this is the perfect time of the year for that. I baked an apple pie yesterday. So you can imagine how delish my house smells right about now. :D  






No comments: