Saturday, August 12, 2006

The First Draft

Wow- it's been a week since my last post and my train of thought has completely derailed. It's been a long week - my son is teething and had me up by five just about each morning this week. And since I already hit the sheets well after midnight (nighttime is my writing time) you can imagine how awake I've been. A lot of things have gone by the wayside - this included. That pirate manuscript? Last night was the first night I've looked at it since last weekend. And actually, that isn't such a bad thing. Gave me a fresh eye for it and I picked up a few things that I missed the first six times around.

I always do that when I finish a draft. It goes into a file and gets forgotten for a few weeks while I work on something else (and right now, there are about six something elses going on!) Then, when I finish the next project, I go back to the first, yadda yadda yadda. I want to get this finished, though, because I'm going on vacation and I want to have a clean copy to take with me. Yeah - I write on vacation too. But let's face it, I've got two young children. Vacation doesn't quite mean the same thing anymore. Basically, it's same job, different spot. And the different spot means I don't know where anything is and I've only got about half of the junk I'm used to. Fortunately, I'm going down the shore so I'll only be an hour and a half away if I forget something vital.

I've been updating my website. Well, actually, I just tell my webmaster what I want done. It's almost finished - my newest book cover is up. I love it and can't wait to see it on the actual book. One of these days, when things slow down a little here (yeah, right) I'm going to learn how to do the updating et all myself. Hee hee....

OK - this is a short post and I know it, but I've got to walk the dog and get myself to the gym. Then I have to finish those contest entries and get back to work on the pirates. The manuscript's taken on a whole new look and I think it's going pretty well. It should be ready to go in a few more weeks and we'll see what's what!

No comments: