Thursday, November 23, 2006

Giving Thanks

Well, it's that time of year again, when we all sit back and reflect on what's happened since the last Thanksgiving. So, I figured I'd take time out from the Parade (remember Underdog? Damn, I miss him!) and see just what all I am thankful for!

1. My two beautiful children. They drive me crazy - they make me rant and rave like a lunatic, I've forgotten what a full night's sleep is like, and I can't go to the bathroom without someone pounding on the door saying, "Mommy, what are you doing in there?" But, at the end of the day, when my son snuggles into my neck as I rock him over his crib, or my daughter gives me a bear hug of a squeeze and whispers, "Mommy, I just wanted to tell you, I love you.", it all becomes worthwhile. Corny? Maybe. True? Absolutely.

2. My husband. Yes - he also drives me nuts. More so than anyone else on the planet - children included - yet with that has come some of the hardest laughter I've ever felt and the funniest things I've ever heard. He truly is a 5 year old trapped in the body of a 35 year old man. I've known him for almost 15 years, been married to him for ten of those years and I can honestly say that I have never once looked back and wondered 'what if'? Which I'm sure he's real happy to know.

3. My friends. We don't see each other all that often because some travel like crazy (marc's in china right now), we're scattered all over the state - hello to Jackson, Hamilton, Morris Plains, Bloomfield - south to north jersey! And we've all got kids and lives. But when we do get together, it's like no time at all has passed. They are the lifeline outside of the home.

4. My family - we're geographically close as well, which is great because we all know we can bail each other out when necessary. I couldn't stand my brother when we were kids (he's younger), but he's a pretty cool grownup :). And he's shaping up to be a really great dad. We've come a long way since we were kids and I tried my best to kill him. Luckily, he's not too scarred by his childhood.

5. My writing - I love it. I can't imagine doing anything else. I had two books come out this year and I can't wait to see what the next year holds.

And lastly, I would like to say to the men and women serving in Iraq and Afghanistan (I had two cousins there and thank God they're back, safe and sound, and in one piece) - God bless you and keep you safe. We're all praying that you come back to your families as soon as possible. I am thankful for your sacrifice, and hope this whole mess ends very soon.

Happy Thanksgiving!

No comments: