Saturday, March 31, 2007

Almost A Year

Has gone by since I started this blog. A whole year. Wow. My very first post is ridiculous, mostly because I had no idea what to write about. So, I let it ride, and little by little, learned it didn't matter. I could (and did) write about everything. Sometimes I ranted, sometimes I raved, sometimes I got yelled at, and did a bit of yelling in return. I even kvetched from time to time.

On April 22, this blog will be year old. I'll look back - maybe do a retro-post. I don't know.

Until then, I'm working on getting the second issue of my newsletter out. My contest officially ends tonight and I'll be alerting the winner in just a few hours. I've been working on those writing contest entries, but tonight I'm taking for me. I've a bit of writing I've been ignoring - and now I'm sick, so I'm claiming tonight for me. I don't want to judge someone else's writing while I'm feeling so lousy. That isn't at all fair to the author whose entry landed in my lap. So, in the interest of remaining unbiased, the entries will wait a day or two. I'd rather do that than penalize someone for something I ordinarily wouldn't simply because I'm tired, feverish, cranky, with a sore throat. I'm a beast when I have a sore throat. I can handle almost anything else, but a sore throat makes me whine like a two year old. I got into an argument with someone at the pharmacy because I felt so rotten. It went a little like this:

Me: My son was given a prescription for a ten day supply of amoxicillan. He ran out and is supposed to take it for four more days.

Pharmacist: Well, what's the dosage?

Me: 1 teaspoon twice a day.

Pharmacist: Well, what are you giving him?

(pause while I stare at the phone in disbelief - he didn't just ask me that, did he)

Me: I'm sorry?

Pharmacist (sounding annoyed): What dosage are you giving him?

Me: I just told you. One teaspoon twice a day.

Pharmacist: Then he should have four more days' worth.

(I swear to freakin' God, I am not making this up. I thunk my head against the wall)

Me: I know. Why do you think I'm calling?

Pharmacist: What are you using to dose?

Me: A graduated cup.

Pharmacist: You should be using a dropper.

Me: I would have, but you didn't give me one and I had the cup. Does a teaspoon change in quantity from dropper to cup?

(I was getting testy by now. Just give me the damn refill!)

Pharmacist: Well, those cups aren't always accurate.

Me: I'm pretty sure this one is. I got it at (local hospital)'s ER department.

(we got the cup when my daughter was undergoing rabies postexposure treatment last spring/summer. Good thing to hold on to, despite what the numbnuts at the pharmacy thought)

Pharmacist: (silence)

Me: Hello?

Pharmacist: I can give him enough for the next four days.

(Strike up the "Hallelujah Chorus)

Okay, so it wasn't exactly a fight, but it was an annoyance. And as an aside, they were the same amount. I figure they knew they shorted me - especially since they didn't charge me for the second bottle. And I'd already been to that same pharmacy earlier to get some stuff for my daughter to take when she went to visit her grandparents in Florida (she left this morning). Not to mention that my husband had been there also (he has conjuntivitis - we are such a healthy group!) so it would the third pharmacy trip, all told. I wasn't happy about it.

So, anyway, I'll be back shortly with new posts and, hopefully, interesting things to talk about.

I'm also closing in on 100 posts. Maybe I can get the two to meet somewhere... we'll see.

No comments: