Saturday, November 03, 2007

All revved up... just need a plot

I want to write.

Yep - I've taken a long enough break, between the hospital trips and the packing and the moving and the unpacking. Now I'm ready to begin writing again. Never mind that I have two WIPs in various stages of revision. I want to create a totally different world, with totally different people, and completely immerse myself in it. I love that feeling, when inspiration strikes and everything just leaps to life on the page (er, screen, I guess.)

So I want to write.

There's just one teensy little problem.

I don't have a plot.

Sigh.

It's as annoying as anything - wanting to write but not knowing what, exactly, to write. It's kind of like a restless feeling when I've been cooped up inside for too long, but don't really have anywhere to go. I want to be somewhere else, I just don't know where.

Coming up with a plot idea when I want to write is torture. It's so much better when the plot pops into my head before even characters do. True, that sometimes leads to writing the wrong story (see the post about the right guy/wrong girl I did a few months back), but at least that gives me a starting point and I can rewrite.

But wanting to write without a story is like getting stuck in the mud. You spin and spin your wheels, but all you do is sink yourself in deeper. That's how I end up with four hundred pages of sizzling sex scenes and nothing in between them (I believe that was also in the right guy/wrong girl post - a four-hundred page book about nothing, but really great sex scenes.)

Or worse, I come up with something that kind of looks like a plot, only to get fifty pages in and find out I've got nothing. I have a drawer full of forced ideas that ended up DOA. I can't work that way. I need the general story outlined in my head before I can do anything else. So now I'm all ready to sit and work and damn it, I got nothin' to work on. Rats.

Guess that's my sign - probably should get back to the revisions. Who knows? Maybe the perfect plot will grace me with its presence that way.

No comments: