Thursday, December 27, 2007

The Perfect Ending

It seems so simple, doesn't it? In romance, there is only one way to end the story. Happily Ever After. (Well, two ways if you write erotic romance - and the second is happy for now.) But for my genre, it's Happily Ever After or nothing. And on the surface, that seems real simple, doesn't it?

HA!

It seems simple, but for me, oy. It is anything but.

At least it is for After the Storm. This book is driving me insane. I hate the way I've ended it. Hate it. Hate it. HATE IT. I think the way I have it ending now makes Hugh look like such a freakin' weenie that I can't understand why the hell Miranda doesn't just toss him out the door with a shouted Good Riddance.

But the problem is that I don't really know how to end it without his looking like such a doofus. Originally, I'd planned a very different ending but as I wrote the story, it veered off into Weenieville and I'm not exactly sure how to detour back to where I wanted it.

I'm about halfway through revising the fourth (or maybe it's the fifth, I can't remember and the manuscript's downstairs. I'm too lazy to get up and look and it really doesn't matter anyway) draft, so I've got a little time before I have to deal with the problem. But I know it's there - just lingering over my head like an annoying black cloud on an otherwise gorgeous sunny day. I have to figure out how to steer it the way it was originally supposed to go - it's the only way to keep the hero from becoming a dweeb. Up until those last few chapters, Hugh is all hero. But in those last few chapters, it all just drains away. Ugh. I want to smack him and do a Snap outta it!. Because really, who wants a hero who ends up a total wuss in the end?

Hopefully I'll be able to turn it back onto the right path. I've put it off long enough - time to go wrestle that stupid HEA back the way it's supposed to be.

Wish me luck.

No comments: