Wednesday, March 05, 2008

A Few of My Not-So-Favorite Things

It's raining.

Again.

It seems like it's done nothing but rain since about mid-November. I'm more than a little tired of it, really. So, what better way to deal with it than to kvetch about it? So here it is, a little list of a few of my not-so-favorite things:

1. Tailgaters - this is my biggest pet peeve. I can almost understand it if I'm going under the speed limit. But that never happens - unless I'm stuck behind a slow-moving vehicle. Truth be told, I will confess to having a bit of a lead-foot and I like to think of the speed limit as more of a suggestion, really. So to be going 5-10 miles above the limit and still have someone smack up on my bumper? Drives me batty. Especially when I'm stuck behind that slow-moving vehicle. Um, yeah, what exactly would you like me to do, Mr./Ms Tailgater? Should I attempt to change the laws of physics so that I can somehow go through the car or truck in front of me? Get off my bumper or prepare to get real close with my backseat. My brakes work well and I've got good insurance.

2. Spammers - Three words for you losers. Get. A. Life. 'Nuff said.

3. Rain during the day - like I said, it's been raining forever. It makes my hair frizzy and I have enough hair issues as it is. My backyard is a huge swamp and I swear I saw animals marching past my window two-by-two. Enough already!

4. People talking loudly on cell phones in public. Really, I don't care about your most recent stomach flu or that strange rash in your nether regions. And no one else cares, either. In fact, we're all pretty grossed out by it. I also don't care if your wife/husband/girlfriend/boyfriend is cheating on you, or magnificent in bed or any of that crap. Either lower your voice or hang up the %^#! phone. And if you're at the next table over from me in a restaurant, let me introduce your stupid phone to my unnecessary glass of water. You're not the center of the universe, you know.

5. Use of the word "supposably". That's not even a word! It's supposedly. Same goes for "axed" (asked), and "nucular" (nuCLEAR).

6. Writer's Block - I confess - I'm stuck smack-dab in the middle of the worst case of writer's block EVER. I've gotten about 30 pages into two different projects and BLAM! Hit the wall on both. That's why I decided to take a break. I need to get something into the works, and that just makes the block worse. If anyone's got any suggestions about curing this damn block, please, please, PLEASE offer them up. This is the worst it's ever been.

Okay - now, enough with the negative. Here's a list of a few of my favorite things as well -

1. Rain at night. I love falling asleep to the sound of it hitting the roof. Especially when it's chilly and the room is cozy and I'm all snuggled down under the covers. Perfect.

2. Keith Olbermann - really, I love this guy. He's funny and he's smart. Best combination to get grim news. And he's a baseball fan. 'Nuff said there.

3. The sound of my kids playing together - the Boy and the Girl get along great now (I'm sure it'll change in a few years, so I'm enjoying it while it lasts.) And when they race around the house, almost falling over because they're laughing so hard - it's music, really.

4. Spring/Fall - warm during the day, cool at night. Throw in vibrant colors and how could you not love it?

5. A new release - Yep - I've got two coming up. One this Friday, one at the end of May. They help loosen the writer's block anxiety, but I'll still gladly listen to any suggestions on getting rid of it entirely.

6. Absolute Write - this place is a godsend. A place to learn, to vent, to laugh - I've made a ton of friends over there.

And what do you know? It's stopped raining.

Holy @$%^ is that the sun???

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

If it makes you feel any better, my area got hit with freezing rain. That's a lovely sound to hear for nearly three weeks solid. When's summer comin' again?