Friday, April 25, 2008

Bad Hair Days...

Once upon a time, I used to spend hours (well, almost one hour) a day getting my hair just right. It was the 80s, I was in high school. When it came to hair, bigger was better and no one did big hair like us Jersey girls. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Hole in the ozone? Attributed solely to Jersey girls from the mid-80s on.

But as time went on, and I got busier, I also got lazier. I tried short hair (baaad move) - only to have parts of it curl until it was long enough for the weight to pull my hair straight again. I had these funny looking corkscrew curls - but only on the sides. It was awful.

So, I went long again. Layers. Grew out the layers. Layers again. And so on.

Now, I just want to blow dry and go. I can't be bothered with mousse, or gel, rollers, curling iron, flat iron, hairspray. Ugh. Not any more. Just want to blow and go.

Now, my hair has a mind of its own and it really is an evil genius. It's straight, but wavy in sections (I don't know how that happened at all), and it frizzes like you wouldn't believe.

It takes me forever to get into the salon. I put it off until I have one of those bad hair days that makes me want to cut it all off and start all over again. Fortunately, the scissors were down in the kids' bathroom, so I didn't do something stupid.

But I do trim my own bangs.

And then they turned on me as well.

For years, they curled (round brush - best invention ever) and lay exactly how I wanted them, Never had bang-issues.

Now it seems I have a cowlick.

What????

How did that happen? How did they go from behaving perfectly to curling in toward my nose? And how to I fix it?????

Well, I broke down and called my stylist. She's the one who told me it was cowlick and that thicker bangs would probably weigh them enough so they don't do that stupid curl. And my hair was a frizzy mess anyway. It gets very thick and very bushy when it needs a cuttin'. And it needed a cuttin'. The last haircut I had?

July.

Egads...

So I've got thicker bangs and smoother hair now and I already made my next appointment. And before long, I'll have to pick a color. It was blonde. Now it's going white. Any suggestions???

2 comments:

Sarah said...

I don't think I've seen my natural color in years. The minute I saw a white hair (somewhere in my mid twenties) I began coloring it. I have been red and blonde, but always go back to some shade of brown.

Kim said...

I've been tucking the whites in (but I don't think I'm fooling anyone ;> )

I think I'll start with highlights, since my husband and I can't agree on color... ugh...