Monday, June 09, 2008

Feelin' hot, Hot, HOT!

Whew - summer came roaring in this year. Last week, it was almost cold. But this week? Egads - it's nearly 100 degrees out there! It feels like August - with thick, muggy air, searing sun, and no breeze at all.

Every summer, I swear I'm moving out of this state. I mean, what were my ancestors thinking when they stepped off the boat, fumbled their way into the swamp part of the state and said, "Oh, yeah. We are sooo there!" They must've come in the winter. That's the only rational explanation I can come up with - there's no way they showed up in summer. Only a crazy person would plant their flag here in summer. Oh... wait... I'm still here, aren't I? Okay, semi-crazy person.

This happens almost every summer - though not quite to this extreme. The heat wave is supposed to break by Wednesday and everything will cool off. Of course, "cool off" is still mid-80s, but any little bit helps, right?

So, anyway, we opened our pool today. Interesting, to say the least. I've never owned a pool, never lived in a house that had a pool. Our townhouse complex had one, but in ten years, I never once went there. Ick. I don't like the idea of sharing a pool with so many people. You never know who's doing what in that water and that's enough to skeeve me out.

Thankfully, there was nothing dead floating in the water (or worse, sunk to the bottom - at least, I don't think so - the water's not entirely clear just yet.) But it was a disheartening shade of a little deeper than jade green. Pretty, if I wasn't melting and dying to go swimming.

So the pool guys shocked it and it's clearing. I can now see the second step. The bottom is kind of visible. Kind of. And now it's a pale jade. Still pretty. Still un-swimmable. Oh well. Hopefully in a few days. Hopefully.

Until then, I'm staying inside, keeping cool with the AC. I'm doing a final revision on a manuscript I hope to have to my editor by the end of the month - so there's no excuse to not be working on it, I suppose.

But once that water's clear - look out!

No comments: