Wednesday, June 11, 2008

When It Just Won't Cooperate

When it comes to aggravating, a book that just won't behave really ranks up there. It's driving me crazy - not only because of the amount of work I've already put into it, but because I really like the story.

Unfortunately, there's just something... off... about it. I can't put my finger on it, but something just isn't working. I don't know if it requires too much suspension of disbelief, or the characters are wrong for each other, or what. I do know that it's just. Not. Working.

So maybe it's time to shelve it for a while. Not the happiest of thoughts, really. Sure, I have my trunk novels - the books that are just soooo bad that the bottom of a trunk is the only good place for them - but I don't know if this particular story is a trunkster. I like it. I like the characters. I like the plotline. So where did it go wrong?

Got me. I've read and reread it a few times, revised this, took that out, but still... It isn't improving. At least, I don't think it is. And it's driving me mad. There's almost nothing worse than spending months researching and writing, only to have something go sour. If it's something I can fix, great. But how do you fix something you can't find? And worse, how do I know it won't happen in another manuscript?

I guess that's what makes writing such a blessing and a curse. I love to write, love to create these worlds and the people who populate them. But at the same time, when it all goes to hell, it's frustrating as anything.

So, into the proverbial trunk it will go. Time to let it rest and try a different story. So, we'll see what happens then.

Keep your fingers crossed.

No comments: