Saturday, June 28, 2008

June 28, 1997

This is a non-writing related post.

Today is my eleventh wedding anniversary.

Eleven.

Years.

It's hard to believe that much time has passed.

We've been together 14 years come early July (and how's this for a romance writer - I can't remember the date of our first date) - wow, time really does fly, now that I look back.

It's so funny to look back at all the craziness leading up to our wedding. Two days before, I had to rush my cat to the vet because he was thisclose to death due to that ash blockage that cats are prone to get. He didn't want to go in the carrier, and gashed open my arm from elbow to wrist when I tried stuffing him in. I won, but I do still have the scar - if I look real carefully, I can see it.

So, I'm in the vet's office, the cat's yowling, I'm bleeding all over the place, a frazzled mess because I still have to get this payment here and that payment there and all other kinds of nonsense. The vet looks at my arm and the small pool of blood on the floor and says with the straightest of faces,

"I sure hope your gown is long-sleeved."

Thankfully it was, so the bandage didn't show. Unfortunately, long sleeves at the end of June? Not necessarily the best combination. But it all worked out in the end (I got real good at finding AC vents quickly) and to this day, people tell me what a great time they had at our wedding.

It is hard to believe that eleven years have gone by, though. It doesn't feel that long. We've had our ups and downs and the good and bad - but somehow, we just get through it and the sun always rises the next day.

We're a pretty good team, DH and I.

No comments: