Wednesday, August 06, 2008

A Few of My (Not) So Favorite Things

This is always a fun topic, isn't it? Writer pet peeves, or just pet peeves in general. I've got 'em. Who doesn't, when you think about it?

So, since I'm going to the shore tomorrow to visit my mother in law, I'm posting this now. It's almost 2AM and I'm sleepy, so I can't guarantee that it'll make a whole lot of sense. If not, I'll fix it when I get home.

And so -

A list of some of my (not) so favorite things =)

1.Stupid commercials - I am one of those people who likes commercials. I figure, it takes a lot of talent to create something that has to catch your attention, and suck you in, and has seconds to do it. But, that applies to good commercials - you know the ones - The Budweiser Frogs. The Wendy's Where's the Beef? old ladies. They are good. Timeless. I like them. But the stupid ones? I'd rather poke myself in the eye with a fork than sit through them. Right now, my number one stupidest-pass-me-a-fork-NOW commercial is that one for Secret with the twit walking through a city raising her arms as much as she can. Grrr... I want to see her get hit by the taxi. Want to walk? Here, let me get you started!

2. Tailgaters - I know I've blogged about these a-holes. The ones who think that, if they can get thisclose to me, I'll suddenly speed so they can go faster. Now, I've got a bit of a lead foot, so it's rare that I'm under the speed limit. If I'm already 10 miles over the posted limit, you're crazy if you think I'm going faster still. Ten mph is not enough for most cops to write a ticket. Over that however... well... sorry, buddy... I'm not getting a ticket for someone I like, never mind a jerk whose grill is almost fused to my bumper. You're lucky I don't slam on my brakes. It's tempting. I could use the money.

3. Non-writers who say, "Well, I've got a great idea for a book. I'll tell you what it is, you can write the book, and we'll split the royalties!" Um. No. No. I don't see this happening. See, coming up with the idea is kind of the easy part. And even if I was going to consider this (which I'm not, so don't ask), there's no guarantee that the book will be sold. You have an idea? Great. You write the book. Enjoy.

4. Microsoft programs - need I say more?

5. Microsoft Vista - yes, it's a Microsoft product, but it is annoying enough to warrant its own listing. My Vista does funky stuff - windows minimize and maximize at the oddest times (I'll click on a link for a website, and the entire window shrinks. It's really quite irritating, actually.) I also hate that it checks and double-checks that it's okay for it to do the things I tell it to do. I'm the administrator. Trust me, Vista, it's okay. Don't bring up ten more "confirm operation" boxes. Just. Do. It.

6. That my Feedburner stats are off by a day and I don't know why. Heck, I don't even know if this is good or bad.

7. That my playing around with my blog screws up my stats. I think I'm getting popular - then I realize that I'm the reason why I'm popular, because I decided to change stuff on my blog. Or worse, try to improve it, only to make it all a huge mess, and spend two hours getting back the way it was (this just happened to me today, btw)

8. Lists of stuff that I don't like - They make me grouchy. And this was supposed to be a lighthearted grouchy kind of list. I hope it came off that way. I'm really not that grumpy. For the most part.

Now it's your turn - what are some of your pet peeves? And I better not show up anywhere on that list =)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am so with you on the Secret commercial. That is one of the more absurd attempts at advertising that I have seen in a while! I hate it when she jumps in front of the police cruiser and yells: "Ahh! I'm innocent!"

Kim said...

The general consensus is that we all hate it. The only ones who don't are those who haven't seen it yet, and/or crazy people! =)