Saturday, August 09, 2008

The Olympics

This is a totally non-writing related post because last night marked the opening of the Olympics and for the next 17 days, I'll be having delusions of grandeur about being on the US Swim Team, or the USA Beach Volleyball team, or the US Gymnastics team...

Oh, I know it'll never happen - especially since I gave up gymnastics when I was twelve, was never on a swim team, and though I'm a decent volleyball player, I prefer backyard competition... But I do the same thing with the Winter Games as well (gold medals in skiing and figure skating, specifically.)

I love the Games. I love the idea of peace and clean competition - of putting aside fighting and disagreements and battles over policy, for those two and a half weeks. Forget the differences and concentrate on the true Spirit of the Games. That's what I love. Of course I want the USA to win everything (GO USA!!!), but I want to see clean, fair competition. No buying off judges, no steroids or other performance enhancing drugs - just talent and muscle versus talent and muscle. As it should be.

The Opening Ceremonies were incredible and I'm looking forward to to the diving, the swimming, the gymnastics, the track and field - everything pretty much. And I will be cheering on Team USA. And I will be daydreaming about standing on the podium, or cutting through the water like a fish, or being able to launch myself, spinning, into the air, and not kill myself...

Ah.... It will be a good two and a half weeks...

2 comments:

Jen said...

I know what you mean about the fantasizing. I, too, gave up gymnastics after sixth grade. It was fun, but I was definitely not in a place where I could compete. :)

That said, watching is soooooo exciting that I just don't mind.

GO USA!

Kim said...

I still like to think that maybe someday...

Nah - but I love watching just the same! =)