Thursday, May 07, 2009

And Now For Something Completely Different






















Hi there! Remember me? I know I haven't been around much, and I keep saying I'll get better about it, but I have a really good excuse this time.

I'm knee deep in a new story and it is flowing so smoothly that I've been writing every spare moment I can. When the kids go off to school, when SpongeBob SquarePants is on and my son's engrossed in it, when the kids go to bed - you'll find me typing away like a madman. And it's wonderful.

The story I'm working on is different from anything I've done so far. It's still historical romance, but it's about vampires and I've never written one word about vampires before now. I've never been a huge vampire fan, either. I read Bram Stoker's Dracula about 15 years ago and I have to admit, I wasn't really impressed by it. Maybe I need to read it again, though. I saw Francis Ford Coppola's Bram Stoker's Dracula and aside from the always-awesome Gary Oldman, I wasn't impressed with that, either. And no, I'm not going to sit through it again.

But anyway, I've had to do a bit of research into vampires and demons and all that - and it's been interesting, as vampire lore is in a LOT of different cultures, which was something I hadn't realized. So it's been fascinating.

Anyway, I began this story on Monday and I'm almost 15k words into it, which is phenomenal, and it's flowing so well that I just want to keep at it. It's been a long time since a story has gone this smoothly, as I was having such a rough time getting beyond page 30. Whew.

So it's fun and the research is interesting, and hopefully momentum will stay on my side. Oh, and if there are any really good vampire lore books out there, I'm open to recommendations!

And now, back to writing...

No comments: