Tuesday, August 18, 2009

As the Muse Turns



















Ahh... last summer, I thought my muse (I really should name her, seeing as how she lives to make me crazy) left. Gone. Kaput. Bye-bye.

Apparently, I was wrong.

Not only is she back, but she's trying to make up for lost time.

I finished the rough draft to Dance with the Devil last week. I finished the first round of revisions for Tiger Eyes last Friday. Swore I was taking a break. Not writing anything for a while yet.

Yeah.

Right.

On Saturday, I was typing the words Chapter One for a new idea. A wonderful, warm-and-fuzzy inspiration that came to me late Friday night and would not leave me alone until I got the words on paper - er - on file.

Trouble is, the beginning isn't working.

I can't find it.

I've rewritten the same five pages about a dozen times, trying to figure out where the story starts. Still haven't had much luck. The first love scene was already written in my head, so I wrote the rough draft of that instead.

What appeared on the screen was a little different. Not a full-fledged love scene. But the lead-up. A teaser, if you will.

Okay. Now, if only the beginning would come to me.

Rats.

So, I still don't have it written, but that's okay. I've been busy running errands and since the Boy's school program wrapped up last week, my writing time's been cut into during the day. The flip side is that now I can stay up a little later at night to write, since I don't have to be up first thing in the AM.

But still no beginning.

Sigh.

I'll just let it simmer in the back of my mind. My muse has also planted ideas for two more stories, but she's not being quite so pushy about them just yet. At least she's a bit considerate, especially considering how she ditched me last summer.

A muse with a guilty conscience is not necessarily a good thing.

But, it's still better than an absentee muse, that's for sure.

2 comments:

Allen said...

The muse is a fickled person. Mine feeds me starts everyday. The endings roll out. The middle is a cruel joke my muse loves to play.

Kim said...

Oh yes.. your muse and my muse must be twins... Gotta love them, no?