Monday, September 28, 2009

Classics




















So, last night, I watched The Wizard of OZ. I love this movie and have ever since I was about the Boy's age. I have the 50th Anniversary VHS set (complete with movie stills and a bound edition of the script - for the movie geek in all of us!) I have it on DVD (the Girl used to watch it at least 3 times a day, once upon a time.) I've read (and re-read and read to the Girl) the book. I just LOVE this story.

The Scarecrow is my favorite - I'm amazed at how graceful Ray Bolger could make falling look - only a dancer could do that. I just make it look clumsy. And unlike a lot of other kids, I was never afraid of the Winged Monkeys. And you can bet I will be buying the 70th (egads, 70th????) anniversary DVD when it comes out on Tuesday (I think it's Tuesday.)

But what struck me as I was watching it last night, is how simple the story is. And I don't mean that in a bad way - Baum made it look so effortless. Good vs. Evil, your heart's desire is inside you (you just need to figure out what said desire is), loyalty and friendship. That's it. And yet, it's not nearly as easy as it looks.

But think about the classics - they all seem to be so simple. I've finished Gone With the Wind several times and think, "I can do this." However, when I sit down to write, I realize it's all an illusion. It's not as simple as it seems. If it was, there would be no classics, because everyone with half a brain would be able to spit out Gone With the Wind or Wuthering Heights or The Wizard of OZ.

Sometimes I think I'm thisclose to discovering the secret. Maybe I am. Who knows? I like to think that, with each successive book, I get a little closer, that I improve with each story.

I sure hope so. :)

No comments: