Monday, September 07, 2009

Labor Day, 2009






















Hard to believe, but the summer is thisclose to being over. Good. The last few weeks have reminded me just why I don't really like summer all that much. Hot. Sticky. Blech.

We had a nice time at the shore on vacation last week. I loves me the Jersey shore. No place on earth like it. The Boy got a real haircut, and I'm still kind of adjusting to it, since it transformed him from baby to the nearly 4 year old he is. Shocking, to say the least. He had this beautiful mop of long blond hair that made him look a little like a surfer dude, but he was beginning to look like a little girl, so it was time for a professional to cut it, instead of me. My inlaws took him and he came back looking older and like a boy - so it was a good thing.

We did the back to school shopping thing. Would someone please explain to me how I can pay thousands (yes, thousands) of dollars in property taxes (which NJ claims funds the school districts) and yet I have to provide pencils, tissues, and dry erase markers for the class? Oh, that's right, because the taxes have nothing to do with actually buying classroom supplies for the children, and all to do with the 626 school districts, and the salaries of their dozens of superintendents, principals, assistants, assistants to the assistants, their assistants - that's where the money goes. The kids? Their parents can provide everything else. I'm waiting for the day when I'll have to buy the textbooks as well...

/hops off soapbox

But I'm glad school starts tomorrow - means Mom gets some free time every day. Yay! I'm about halfway through the revisions of Tiger Eyes and Dance with the Devil is next on my to-do list. Free time means time to get those projects off my desk and out the door. Yay!

And now, it's time to go and enjoy this last day of summer - yes, I know there are still two more weeks left, technically, but you know what I mean.

Shoo... enjoy your last day as well!

1 comment:

Tara McClendon said...

I'm actually looking forward to fall, and I'm loving my son being back in school.