Friday, December 18, 2009

Almost Back on Track















This is how I feel right about now. For the last two days, I've been busy retrieving already retrieved data from my old laptop, to put it on the new laptop. What a chore. You don't realize just how many emails you have, until they are all gone and you are frantically hoping they can be found and salvaged. Same goes for pictures. And internet bookmarks. And manuscript files. Egads - there was a lot of stuff on that machine and now I think I have everything back.

Some of it was easily replaced, but others (such as those wayward emails) I found by sheer dumb luck. And thank God for sheer dumb luck.

Of course, of all the manuscripts I had on the old machine, there was only one that was damaged to the point where it can't be opened, and that was the most recent (of course) draft of Tiger Eyes. I don't know for certain, but I think it might have been opened when the old machine died and that's what screwed it all up. But I can't get to it. Which wouldn't be too bad, since I have everything backed to a flash drive. Or so I thought. Turns out that somehow, that draft was not backed to the flash drive. I don't know how I missed it, but I did. Fortunately, the changes between draft number 4 and draft number five (the most recent) are minimal, but I will have to pay extra close attention, just to make sure.

It was a hassle, having to go back and get all that stuff onto the new machine, but hopefully it's all behind me. Now, I just have to get used to the new machine (which I have to confess, I love) and catch up with all of my blog-reading (I'm waaaaay behind on those) and all that other fun stuff. But for tonight, I'm just going to sit back and work on a book I'd trunked about a year ago. I came across it cleaning my office a few weeks back and, after a quick read-through, I think it isn't nearly as awful as I'd originally thought. So that's what I'm doing right now. Once my energy levels return to normal, I'll finish up Tiger Eyes and get it out. By then, I should be caught up.

No comments: