Wednesday, January 13, 2010

The Dreaded Synopsis

I haetz them.

Now that Tiger Eyes is thisclose to being finished (and there was much rejoicing), I couldn't put it off any longer. It had to be done and the damn thing wasn't going to write itself (although, how cool would that be?!?)

The Synopsis.

I would rather sit down and write the first 85k word first draft than try to cram those 85k words into less than five pages. And now matter what I write, it sounds stupid to me and I think, Ain't no way in hell I'm gonna sell this!

Head, meet desk.

I envy people who can just sit down and bing! have a synopsis written perfectly in about thirty seconds. I don't like those people. I soooo want to be those people. Ugh.

Head, meet desk.

The only thing worse than writing the synopsis is writing the query (85k words crammed into 3 paragraphs. Ugh. Head, meet desk really hard.)

Fortunately, the queries are a little easier when you're querying and editor you already work with - yay! It's a lot easier then.

But that synopsis... it never gets easier. I don't know why it's so difficult. I wrote the damn book. I know what happens. So why can't I just summarize it like bing! that?

Head, meet desk.

And instead of kvetching about it, I really should be writing it. Like, now.

I think I'm getting a headache.

No comments: