Friday, January 08, 2010

Write, Revise, Repeat as Needed


 And that's exactly what I'm doing right now. The writing part is done. The revising, however... yikes.

The best part about the revision process is when I can't read my own notes. **headsmack** It happens more often than I care to think about. I know I should know what it says, but damn it - I can't make it out for the life of me.

To be honest, I'd rather write the damn book than revise it. No, that's not entirely true. Later revisions are okay, because by then, there aren't that many (duh) but those earlier ones? Ugh. The pages end up a mess of red. Scratch-outs, arrows, new scenes written on the backs of pages, with cryptic notes (that made sense at the time I wrote them, but now... WTF did I mean by that???) and not-so-cryptic notes (continue on backs of pages 47, 52, and 92)

That's where Devil in Disguise is right now - that mess-of-red-ink stage. And not only does my handwriting suggest medical school would have been perfect for me, but I write small and I use a fine point pen (all the better for cramming as many changes into a small a space as possible) so the deciphering can be quite the challenge.

What's even better? When I change something in Draft #2, then change that same something in Draft #3, then find out that I changed it back to what it originally was in Draft #1! **headsmack**

And since Devil in Disguise is not going to edit or revise itself, that's probably what I should be doing right now!



2 comments:

Kathy said...

I don't like revising either. But it's kinda like brushing your teeth or flossing-very repetitive but a necessary thing to do.

Kim said...

That's the perfect analogy! :D