Friday, March 12, 2010

Putting it off















For the last week, I've had Devil in Disguise just sitting on my desk, needing only the slightest of changes (a typo here, a bit of a scene rewrite there - nothing major) before it's ready to go. But, here it sits because of one thing I've been putting off...

The synopsis.

Ugh. I hate writing synopsiseseses (what is the plural of synopsis, anyway? Synopsises? Synopsi? Great, another reason to hate them.) It took me nearly 100k words to tell the story, and now I have to slice and dice it down to between 3 and 5 pages??!?! Are you kidding me?

Now, I know some people who, even if they don't like writing them, write great synopsises. I, however, am not one of those people. I suck at them. It's such a struggle that, when I finish, I swear, I feel like I've just given birth. I need a nap. Or a drink. Or a drink, followed by a nap. This one little thing, and I put it off until I'm about nuts with wanting to get the project out the door.

Oh, and I'm in the midst of second edits on After the Storm. Nothing like a little pressure to add to it, eh?

Okay, I've bitched enough - time to get to work. This synopsis won't write itself, you know.

But wouldn't it be cool if it did?!

No comments: