Friday, December 31, 2010

Goodbye, 2010!

And really, if ever I was glad to see a year end, 2010 must be it.

As many of you know, 2010 has been a mixed year for me. Professionally, it's been wonderful (hectic, but wonderful.) I sold five books, four of them have come out already. The next one is due on January 21st. I've made some terrific cyber-friends who've become trusted beta readers, and discovered a bunch of new writers as well.

Personally, though, it's been a tough year. While the Boy is doing fantastic and is almost caught up to where kids his age should be, my husband was diagnosed with diabetes in September and my mom was diagnosed with Stage IV lung cancer in July, so I've been spending more time than I care to in doctors' offices, ERs, hospitals, and rehab facilities. The economy has hit my family hard as well and who knows how long it will take for us to get back to where we were before 2008. I got so burned out from writing that I took a two-month break, which was so desperately needed that I didn't even miss writing for the first six weeks. The itch to tell a story is coming back though, so I'll be at the keyboard soon enough.

But that's not to say I've been a total slacker. :D I'm finishing up the final draft of The King's Bride and that will be going out on sub sometime in January. I also have two other books that are thisclose to being ready. And now that my batteries are recharged, I'm ready to get back to writing on a regular basis.

Hopefully, 2011 will offer up a little more reading time as well. I've been woefully remiss in my reading. Once upon a time, I'd read 2-3 books a week. This year? I think I've read two books in total.  I bought the newest Stephanie Plum back at the beginning of the summer. I'm on page 10, I think. I've been reading Lisa Kleypas' Tempt Me at Twilight since July. It's sad, really.

I'm not a big New Year's Eve person, so I'll ring in 2011 curled up with The Twilight Zone and The Honeymooners, and wonder what the new year has in store. I normally get very reflective at this time of the year but now, I'm really looking forward to the calendar changing over.

Bring on 2011!

1 comment:

Maria Zannini said...

With your mom and husband being sick, it's been a very stressful 2010 for you. Somehow you stayed focused on what matters and that says a lot about you.

I hope 2011 is a lot kinder to you.