Thursday, October 06, 2011

Steve Jobs 1955 - 2011



I don't own an Apple computer, but that's only because they are out of my price range. I keep promising myself that as soon as I can afford one, it's MINE. My next cell phone is going to be an iPhone. I would have gotten one instead of a BlackBerry, but Verizon didn't get the iPhone until three months after my contract expired and unfortunately, I needed a new phone. But when this contract is up, I will be there.

I do however, own an iPod. Two actually. Well, three if you count the original Shuffle I bought way back when (the one that looked like the pack of gum), and then promptly washed. I replaced that one with a newer generation Shuffle (don't ask me which one because it was that long ago and I don't remember.) I then saved up to buy myself a classic iPod. It will hold all of the music I could ever want. I love it.

When I heard yesterday that Steve Jobs had died, my eyes actually teared up. The world has lost an innovator, a visionary, someone who gave new meaning to thinking outside the box and selling those ideas to the public. He made our lives easier, made them more enjoyable, made them better.

Your time is limited, so don’t waste it living someone else’s life. Don’t be trapped by dogma — which is living with the results of other people’s thinking. Don’t let the noise of others’ opinions drown out your own inner voice. And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary.


-- Steve Jobs (Stanford commencement speech, June 2005)

Thank you, Steve Jobs.

Rest in peace.

2 comments:

Theresa said...

Great post. I, too, got tears in my eyes when I heard the news.

Kim said...

Thanks!