We've lived in our house almost five years now, and I'm still in the process of making it ours. When we lived in the townhouse, it looked the same the day we moved out, as it did the day we moved in. How sad is that? I think I changed the curtains in the kitch--nope, now that I think about it, even the damn kitchen curtains remained the same. They were white, lace-type curtains with geese and ducks on them. Geese. And. Ducks. Damn, how lame it that?
I'm proud to say there are no geese and ducks in my house now. But I am still making this my home, even if it is taking forever. It needs to be repainted, but that's a job I'm dreading, so I'll put it off for as long as possible. Besides, my son's room gets a redo first and I'm planning that for this spring/early summer. One thing at a time. First his room, then the Girl's room (which has the ugliest paint scheme I have ever seen. One wall is pale green, the other three are this awful shocking Pepto-Bismol pink. So. Effing. Ugly. I can't stand it. And the pink's going to be a nightmare to cover, I'm sure.) Then I'll tackle the rest of the house.
When we first moved in, and my kids finally had their own rooms, I bought the cutest valances for the Boy's room. I don't know why I didn't for the Girl's room, but I didn't. They both had miniblinds, and that was fine. Until the Boy ripped off the cord on one of the miniblinds in his room. For the last year, the blinds have been down on the one window. It takes me a while to get around to these projects - mostly because they never go smoothly and I'm afraid the spike in my blood pressure will make the top of my head blow right off and because my kids don't need to be exposed to the type of swearing such projects usually bring forth. I'm very creative when properly riled.
Well, I got sick of his room always being kind of dark, so I thought curtains would be nice. For both kids, since I can't really buy for one and not the other. So I'm going to get curtains and hang them. No problem.
Ugh. There are two windows in the Boy's room. First, I had to wrestle off the valance rods. Managed to do that without wrecking anything. Then, I dropped the first screw for the first bracket probably a dozen times before I got it to stay anchored. After that, it was relatively smooth sailing. It only took about 2 hours longer than I expected and I was able to take down the miniblinds without destroying the wood around the window, so yay me! I'll tackle the Girl's room later on today. Hers shouldn't be too bad, since she only has the blinds and they are staying put because, unlike her brother, she didn't wreck them.
Of course, I probably just jinxed myself. If you hear someone weaving a colorful tapestry of obscenities later on, it's probably me and I'm not going to apologize. :D