Tuesday, January 08, 2013

Day to Day

So I'm trying to get back into the swing of blogging (and catching up on the ones I read as well. I'm always looking for new ones to read as well, so throw out any suggestions!) But coming up with topics isn't always that easy for me. I've tried creating lists of topics I think might be interesting, but I'm more of a pantser than a plotter, so I've looked over my list and thought, "meh" to most of the stuff on it.

And since I'm trying to swing this blog away from being strictly writing focused (which can be boring and I'm no expert, so I'm not the least bit qualified to give out much advice), to a little more personal, hopefully that will open up a whole new world of topics. Keep your fingers crossed.

Now that the holidays are behind us, and the kids are back in school, it's time to get back into a routine. Vacations are great, since I get to sleep in and we aren't tied to any schedule in particular, but at the same time, having the kidlets home (the Girl is twelve and the Boy is now seven) means a lot less free time for me.

But now they're back in school and since the Boy is in first grade, (here, kindergarten is half-day sessions. This is the first year he's gone all day) I now have almost the entire day free. You'd think that I'd have thrown myself into writing like a fiend, wouldn't you?

Shame on me. I haven't. Well, not yet. I'm so undisciplined. I've always worked well under pressure (which is why I was able to write Windemere in a matter of weeks) but that can be exhausting. In some ways it's easier, because I'm not gluing myself into my chair for 8 hours a day/5 days a week, but at the same time, it's also easier to let things slide. One of my goals for 2013 is to become a little more disciplined. I have a project I'm revising to get ready to send to my Musa editor, and once that's done, I'm finally going to get back to the Western I've been dying to write. It started out as my NaNo book, but when I was looking it over in the beginning of December, a new direction for that story began to take shape. And then of course, the Newtown shootings happened, and as I said in my previous two posts, it really hit me hard. Add the holidays, and a little more personal stress, and BANG! Story got shelved.

But now, once I get Dance with the Devil out the door - which should only be a few days from now - I think I'm ready to get back to my Old West bounty hunter. And that will be the test for me and my one New Year's resolution (which I seldom make and seldom keep.) Oh, I think I just hit upon a topic for tomorrow. Goals for 2013.

Hmmm... this may be a little easier than I expected. Maybe I should be scared. :D

No comments: