Thursday, January 17, 2013

Where is the Sun?

I haven't seen it for a week. This weather reminds me of the one spring, about ten years ago, where it literally rained for three weeks straight. Awful. By the time the sun finally came out, my townhouse was lakefront property and I was ready to kill someone.

I don't mind the rain at night. Actually, I kind of like it. I like to fall asleep to the sound of it pattering on the roof, and I love the way it smells on the air. But during the day? No. When it stretches into many days? Absolutely not.

The last few weeks, though, the weather's kind of been fitting for my mood. This time of the year is never a good one, since you've got that post-holiday let down (and I have to confess, I like Christmas music - well, most of it - and it just stops so abruptly that it makes the post-holiday let down that much stronger.) And it's cold (except for this year. It got real cold for a few days, but then warmed up a little.) I don't mind the cold if there's snow, but when it's just cold? Forget it. Bring on spring.

This holiday season was a little rougher than most for me. My mom's been sick for a few years and now she's beginning the rapid decline. She doesn't recognize me or my brother any longer. So going to see her is draining. Very draining. It's very difficult to talk to someone who has no idea who you are - on so many different levels.

So I'm trying to focus on the new year, and being able to kind of start over. If only the weather would cooperate. I heard a vicious rumor that the sun might come out today, or maybe tomorrow, but I'm not so sure I believe it.

And on that note, it's time to curl up with a hot cup of coffee and the latest WIP.

No comments: