Monday, February 18, 2013

Downton Abbey Finale

First of all, I'd love to thank TV Guide. Not only does the format of the magazine totally suck (I wish they'd go back to the smaller size) but they spoiled the season finale of Downton Abbey for me a few weeks ago by writing about how Dan Stevens, who plays Matthew Crawley, wouldn't be back for Season Four. No spoiler alert. No warning. Just the little blurb that he'd left the show.

So weeks before the finale, I knew he had one way to go and that would be death. He's the Earl of Grantham's heir. They had to kill him off. And so, they did. Granted, it was at the end of the finale, so it didn't cast a total pall over the show, but I knew it was coming and spent the entire time thinking, "He's going to die here. No, wait, it'll happen here. No, definitely now."

Ugh.

All in all, I thought the show was done well (although I did read on ET online that Julian Fellowes is going to be writing a series for NBC and as a result, may not do as much writing for Downton Abbey. So, we'll see what happens there) even with knowing Matthew's fate - which was even more poignant since he'd just met his baby son. :(

I'm curious to see what happens now. I love this show and think the writing is fairly good, even if house of Grantham goes through maids like Spinal Tap went through drummers. And I think I missed something because at one point, Anna mentioned something about having a surprise for Bates, but I never found out what said surprise was. And it's possible I missed it because my son was having one of those nights, and I ended up running up and down the stairs about twenty times. But it'll all work out in the end, since I will be ordering Season 3 any day now.

I'm going to miss Matthew, but I am so looking forward to the next season. I don't know if it'll be the last one, but I know I'll enjoy it. :D

Blog posts may be a little sporadic right now, as I'm knee-deep in a new project - another Sebastiano book. It's been a while since I've hung out with this family and I've missed them. I began it last week and I'm already nearing 30k words, so the story is moving right along. I've been getting in some amazing writing sessions and the story is progressing nicely.

No comments: