Monday, July 02, 2018

The Countdown Has Begun

Okay, well technically it began on July 1, but who's counting?

I'm looking so forward to this book's release, because when Samhain folded, there was no guarantee this (or any of my Samhain titles, really) would be given new life. I'd gotten the rights reverted to The Earl's Perfect Match waaaay back when Samhain made the "We're closing our doors" announcement the first time. It had already gone through first edits, but not final ones (although it did have a cover already and I loved working with my editor, Laura. I miss her, :() so it met the criteria for outright reversions. The other books were up in the air, with a lot of breath-holding for me, as well as other authors, I'm sure, as to whether or not those rights would come back to me. Fortunately, my titles came back to me free and clear when Samhain shut their doors permanently. It was relatively painless, even if it did hurt to see Samhain go. I had a great experience writing for them, so, I left with relief that my books were mine once more, and on good terms. I've been through a few publisher implosions. This one wasn't bad. No fighting. No threats. Just reversion of rights and when they came back, I already had the offer from Entangled to rehome the first three books.

But this story... Elena and Bennett are two of my favorite characters. I wrote the first draft during a rough time. My mother had been sick and passed in June of 2013, I was worn down from dealing with her--cancer is a bitch, it really is, and when it spreads to your brain, it changes you. My brother and I were the ones dealing with her funeral, and her estate and the one bank who STILL refuses to close her checking account. WTF is THAT about? Anyway, there was a lot of stress in my life and watching Elena and Bennett's story unfold helped me deal with it. I think you can tell I enjoyed writing it. It shows through in some of the more humorous scenes.

So, anyway, only three weeks until it releases and I'm thinking about a giveway. I'm not sure really what I'm doing yet, so when I decide, it'll probably run through august as well, since I'm getting a late jump on this. Time flew by on me and the release date kind of snuck up on me, so here we are.

I'll post more on my Facebook page when I have the details worked out, so hop on over there and give it a like, if you're so inclined. See you there!

No comments: