Thursday, September 18, 2008

A Little Song, A Little Dance...

Batman's head on a lance.

That's my favorite line from Tim Burton's Batman - you know, the one with Michael Keaton and Jack Nicholson? Ah... I had such a crush on Michael Keaton after that...

But anyway, I couldn't think of a real title, so there you go. A line from Batman.

Ahem...

So, I went to the doctor for my creaky ol' knee yesterday. The news is a wee bit grim. She thinks I may have torn the meniscus in my left knee. Now, a hundred years ago, I did the same thing to the right knee, so I know that surgery's pretty much the only cure for that. But, since she's not an orthopedist (did you know that an "a" has somehow found it's way into that word? Well, I don't know why it needed an "a", so I'm leaving it out), she wants me to see one. Luckily, I have one (the doc who did my right knee all those moons ago. He did my husband's torn rotator cuff two years ago. He'll be thrilled to see me =) )

So, I'm going on Tuesday to see my ortho. I'm sure then I'll be going for an MRI (a huge relief, since the last go around, I had to have an arthrogram done. Now, I was in labor with the Girl for 22 hours, and had two c-sections - and an arthrogram's still the worst pain I've ever felt. An MRI is a much welcomed change to this weenie) and then we'll know what's what.

It's weird, but since this happened last Friday, I've been wrapping my knee in IcyHot wraps, and yesterday, the doctor wrapped my knee in an Ace bandage. With the IcyHot things, I kept waking up in agonizing pain every night. Yesterday, by 4PM, I wanted to crawl into a hole and die from the pain, so I took the Ace off to ice the knee and you know what?? About an hour later, the pain was almost gone. So, I left the IcyHot thingie off when I went to bed (since the good doctor felt no need to give me painkillers. Grr.... I never get the good drugs. Ever), took two Tylenol PMs, and slept the night through. Then, this morning, I wrapped it in an Ace, and within an hour, the agonizing pain was back, so I unwrapped it. And the pain went away. I wonder what that means, when the pressure from an Ace bandage is too much. Heck, the IcyHot thingie, which is really just a huge Bandaid with mineral ice infused into it, was too much pressure? That can't be good, can it?

Well, either way, now I know what was causing such horrible pain and I know how to avoid it. Which means I can get a full night's sleep, which is wonderful because I haven't been able to get a lot done on my outline. By the time the kids were in bed and all, I could barely string together two coherent thoughts, never mind several plotlines. But now, I can get back to work on that as well.

So, we'll see what I can get done tonight, as it was a long day, between me gimping about and the Boy's therapies. But if nothing else, the weekend's almost here, so that means I'll get some real quality writing time. Thank God. I need it.

No comments: