Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Finding the Time















One of the things I'm asked the most is when do I find the time to write? I've got two kids, a house, a dog, a husband and all the ups and downs that go along with these things.

Or the flip side - I also hear "I've always wanted to write a book. Maybe I will when I have the time."

When I have the time.

Man, if I had this mindset, I would never have the time to write.

It's not about having the time, it's about making the time. If you want to write a book, and I mean if you really want to write a book, you don't wait for the time to show itself. You carve it out wherever you possibly can.

Like this blog, for instance. You can't see it, but the Boy is standing right here, hanging on my arm (when he isn't trying to plug the camera into the USB port on my computer, or turning the stereo on.) But he knows, when I'm done, my attention's all his (though he's since abandoned me in search of Daddy - traitor.) But the point is, I carved out a small bit of time. And no, writing a book is nowhere near as simple as a little blog post, but the theory's basically the same.

You make the time.

And that's how it is if you really want to write.


It's that simple.

When the Girl was a baby, it was easy. Nap time. Bed time. She was a late sleeper, so I would get up with my husband at 5 AM - and anyone who knows me could tell you I'm so not a morning person that it isn't funny. I love my sleep. I've raised sleeping to an art form. I also sacrificed it in order to make time to write - and I would write from 5 AM until about 9ish when the Girl woke up.

Then the Boy came along. He slept on schedule. The Girl was in preschool. I had two hours every morning and after they went to bed.

Now that they are both in school, I have much larger chunks of time, but I also have other commitments for them (Girl Scouts, CCD, stuff like that.) So sleep is still the big sacrifice when I'm on deadline, or I've got an idea that just. won't. rest.

It's really not that difficult, either. But then again, I don't have a choice. I think that's what separates the writers from the wannabe writers. I have to write. Not writing just isn't an option. It's something I have to do.

Like now, I know Aidrian's story needs to be told. I want to write it. I have to write it (if only I could just find the damn beginning!!!). If I waited until I had free time... it wouldn't happen. If I tried to ignore that little urge, it would only get stronger and my head would probably explode.

I've never actually tried ignoring my muse. She'd probably hurt me if I did. =)

No comments: